Do you need more storage in your home? Or are you a little tired of your house’s current design and want to make it fresh with more liveable space? Whether you’d like to declutter or spread out, an attic conversion is able to get the job done. Renovating your extra roof space into something new and practical is super rewarding!
Is my roof suitable for conversion?
If you’re interested in converting your roof into an attic or a loft, there are a few things that must be considered prior to beginning work. First of all, you need to ensure your roof is suitable for the conversion. In order to determine whether your roof is suitable, roof pitch, height, structure and obstacles will need to be measured and taken note of.
If you are converting your attic to be used as a storage space rather than a living space, the main consideration is whether the attic floor will be strong enough for your items. If you are planning to convert this space into a living area however, the following applies;
- Roof height- Australia’s building code mandates that 60% of the living area must be more than 2.2 metres in height, measured from floor to ceiling.
- Roof pitch- A roof that has a higher angle is generally the best for conversion, as it will usually mean there is more height space in the attic. If your house has a flat or lower pitched roof, the process of conversion is more complicated and expensive, though still possible.
- Roof structure- If your home was built after 1960, it is likely that the roof has been built with less expensive truss roofs, which is generally more difficult for conversions. This is because there tends to be less attic height and load bearing restrictions. Again, while a truss roof makes the process slightly more difficult, there are still ways this can be overcomed.
- Roof obstacles- Obstacles that need to be kept in consideration include trees or chimneys. These obstacles will be kept in mind when surveying the potential attic conversion, as this planning and design stage is crucial to get an accurate cost, and be aware of potential roadblocks.
What are the advantages of an attic conversion?
- More storage- Have you got too much stuff, and not enough space to store it all? If so, converting your roof will be the perfect way to gain an entire new area for storage! Using an attic as another area for storage helps to declutter your home and allows you to spread out a bit more.
- More living space- If you’re in the market to conversion in order to be able to spread out a bit more in your home, and opt for converting it into a full living space, you are able to fully optimise the space you already have available, and potentially turn a 2-3 bedroom house into a 3-4 bedroom house! You should consider this if you find you and your family are feeling a bit cramped together, but aren’t quite willing to purchase a new house. This option enables you to gain more living space, and a fresh new area, without the hassle of moving or extending your home!
- Increases value of your home- By converting your roof into a storage or living space, value is added to your home. Buyers are always looking for homes with a vast amount of storage or living space. So by adding an area to your home using the existing space available, you are ensuring this space is used as efficiently as it is able to, and maximising the practicality of the area. This is gold for the property market, and will make sure your house stands out from the rest if you ever do decide to sell.
- Saves money on renovation- By using the existing space that your house already has, and converting it into something new and practical, you actually save a lot of money in contrast to adding an extension to your home. The price of an attic conversion really depends on the size of the space, type of conversion you’d like, and the materials you choose. Contact us to enquire more, and we can provide you with a quote free of charge. For more information on how we can help with attic conversion in inner west Sydney area, please click here.
Our goal is to turn your dreams of extra space into a reality. Whether you are after extra storage space, living space, or just maximising the space you have available, we can help. Attic conversion provides so many benefits to your household and family, and should definitely be considered as a primary option when getting the itch to spread out. Need more information before making this amazing commitment? Call our very talented and knowledgeable team on 1300 166 522. We are excited to speak with you about attic conversion, and beginning the next step in the process! Why wait? Talk to a team member today; it’s free!